Monday, February 25, 2008

A Secret Shame II: Feeling Old

While I was 'Mixing it up today, after a long day at the "office," I realized from whence cometh (sorry, I've been reading a lot of Stan Lee/Jack Kirby era Thor lately) the secret shame of which I have already blogg'd. While the Elderberries is, clearly, inherently funny (and before we proceed, let us all take a moment to absorb today's wonderfully hilarious offering:







), it seems that perhaps my appreciation of it is part of a larger pattern, and it is not the only sign of senility in my 'mixtual proclivities. In fact, it was while reading Zits today that I realized just what was going on: I'm getting old. Here's today's strip:








And what was my one and only reaction to it? Did I laugh? No. My sole reaction was to ask, "Jeremy, why can't you be nicer to your parents?" Yes, though it pains me to admit it, I identified more with the parent than with the child. Look at mom's face in panel 2, filled with emotion, hope, the desire to bond with her child over matters of serious import. And in panel 3 all of her hopes are callously dashed against the rocks of adolescence.
Recently there has been a real vein of bittersweet emotion for me in the comics, ranging from the tenderness of Blondie's love for Dagwood (today was a wonderful example) to, of course, Peanuts ever-present melancholy streak. On this topic, though, I would like to introduce everyone (thanks go to the inimitable Jacob Sattinger for tunring me on to this) to the saddest, most touching thing going in comics today, maybe ever (certainly since the final strip of Bloom County all those years ago): Garfield without Garfield. I actually have very little to say about this, as I think it speaks wonderfully for itself, but my mind is certainly reeling, having seen the light of a whole new world. Garfield, and by extension our man Arbuckle, have been part of my life literally as long as I can remember, and now everything is different. Maybe this is just part of the same phenomenon. Maybe I'm just getting old and weak. But lord do I find it moving. Perhaps I identify too closely with Jon. I certainly feel like my appreciation of Elderberries and Jeremy's parents is a challenge from G-d. The big guy upstairs is laughing in my face, throwing my own waning years in my face. And I find myself both insulted and intrigued.

6 comments:

Micah Allen said...

I had a similar thought when i read that Zits myself, in fact. Although the mom's got to work on her conversational technique, you can't just go up to someone and say "Hey let's talk about death." But jeremy is still an asshole.

Also, last night i had a long discussion with a friend about the no-name 'stars' prancing around at the oscars like they owned the place. the word 'whippersnappers' was not used but the implication was there. Whoever the hell "Miley Cyrus" is, "Amy Adams," "James Macavoy," I'm looking at you three in particular. Also i was watching the oscars, which based on the ads i saw is an activity only enjoyed by the elderly. So yeah. I too, feel old.

comixdood420 said...

Didn't watch, since I hate the Oscars with a deep and long-burning passion, but I can tell you that Miley Cyrus is Billy Ray Cyrus, and stars in the Disney series "Hannah Montana." She is hideous. James McAvoy was in "The Last King of Scotland" among other things ("Atonement," perhaps?), and was actually pretty good.

Micah Allen said...

Wow, Billy Ray Cyrus certainly looks different than last I saw him/her.

comixdood420 said...

Billy Ray Cyrus' DAUGHTER. Pardon me. Though she did recently change her name to Miley Ray Cyrus. Creepy? You be the judge.

specialfave said...

"Creepy", I say. After watching parts of an episode of "Hannah Montana" on youtube.com I realized, "I too could make millions writing a tv show."
I feel like Miley Cyrus was a presenter at the Oscars because Disney is losing its face to Pixar and they think that they can do whatever they want even if that means force-feeding the public actors from their sugar-coated TV network!

Micah Allen said...

that's a good point-- i didn't know HM was a Disney show, or for that matter suspect that ABC would throw extra air time to the favorite pet(s) of its oligarch, but you have to be right. Keep her away from LOST, is all i ask.