Monday, April 30, 2007

A True Hero

I don't want to devote too much of our time and energy to FBorFW, and I don't want to bring things down this early in the life of our blog, but I've been moved to write about something... This afternoon, thanks to various logistical and experiental factors, I found myself on the FBorFW website, which took me down a myriad of journeys, both new and old. And while learning about Lynn's childhood was fun and all (and the page of errata will be sure to delight everyone), what I need to talk about is an older experience that I relived (and in fact have been reliving every moment since that fateful day): the Death of Farley. Those of you who are new(er)-comers to FBorFW may not remember this, but when April was a child, she fell into the river and the Patterons' old dog, Farley, dove in to save her. He succeeded, of course, but payed the ultimate price in the process. Today while I was reading it I began to tear up when he first leapt into the river, knowing as I did the devestating events that were to come, and by the time he stopped breathing a tear had rolled down my cheek, a tear perhaps very much like the one that rolled down a much younger face, when I read this story for the first time. So here's to Farley, a True Hero. RIP Number 1. I'll see you at the crossroads.

7 comments:

Comicsgurl69 said...

my paper was stolen AGAIN today, although thankfully i encountered a spare at the orinda country club cafe. true story. the 'mix (how do we feel about this abreve, dear readers?) were totes boring today. i'm going to have to say that my fave was blondie, a rare occurence to be sure. oh and yeah, farley. what a dog. i think SOMEONE can expect REMEMBERING FARLEY on his next birthday.

comixdood420 said...

I also enjoyed Blondie today. It was the second psychedelic soap-related Blondie comic in the past week or so (i'm sure we all remember the now-classic soap-burping incident of a few days ago). Man, FBorFW sells all kinds of specialty books like that... I think Farley's death was the single most moving comics event since the end of 'Bloom County'. I think nothing will ever top that last panel where Opus walks out of the frame into a white expanse of nothing. I weep openly every time I read it.

Comicsgurl69 said...

apparently SOMEONE cries over the 'mix like, all the time. this is maybe the same SOMEONE who feels weepy because the lead singer of a bad rock band has braces. is it an abuse of the comments forum if i just use it to mock you? oh wait, you sent an e-mail about a fake blog to every one of my e-mail contacts. never mind.

RSt_bilkeane666 said...

farley. much like John Henry. sacrificing himself for the good of humanity. also much like spock in "the wrath of khan." bone thugs would understand more than anyone else.

RSt_bilkeane666 said...

wait just a minute comicsgurl69. (sorry about the "double-post") what about sally forth???!?!?! 1st of all, TED hasn't been around in awhile. is calling today's 'mixs "boring" anyway to welcome him back? SECOHHND(said in ridiculous french accent) he was swimming in his neighbor's pool without their permission (thereby illegally)!!!!! thats awesome! what a robust example of the human species! plus there was an exciting new plot introduced in get fuzzy. boring??? more like... SCORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comicsgurl69 said...

ok, maybe i was just grumpy because my paper got stolen. but also, i think john henry sacrificed himself because he wanted to show off. whatevs, he was a righteous dude regardless.

Sarah said...

Doods, gurls and aliens: I just wanted to point out that FBFW has its own line of greeting cards, meaning these dear characters are wholly iconic celebrators of birthdays/anniversaries; sufferers of pain and illness; wishers of well. To get ridiculous, let me just paraphase something Frank O'Connor wrote about Gogol's "Dead Souls": one of the paradoxes of great fiction is that once we've been persuaded a character is possible, we realize that we have truly known him ourselves.